Since 1873 the Catholic Community of Pagosa Springs and Archuleta County was able to receive abundant spiritual guidance from missionaries who passed through this beautiful valley. The roots of our parish run deep in Archuleta County, intertwined with the dedication of the Theatine Fathers, who were priests mainly from Italy and Spain. The Theatines expanded their work and missions were established. They included St. James the Apostle (1908) in Trujillo, St. Frances (1908) in Frances, St. John the Baptist (1911) in Pagosa Junction, and Chromo Mission (1922) in Chromo. St. Edwards Catholic Church was built in 1893. This small church accommodated the parishioners until 1949, when the congregation of forty-plus families built the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church which was dedicated in May, 1949. This church served the needs of the community for 50+ years, when it became evident that a larger church was needed. The evolution of the Pope John Paul II West Campus Development began in 2000 and was completed in early 2009. Bishop Tafoya dedicated this church on March 24, 2009. In 2016, a campaign was initiated to build a day chapel and additional meeting room space for classes and other purposes. Construction began in June 2018 and was completed by March, 2019. Father Kenny Udumka, our current pastor, from Nigeria, joined us in November 2014.
Visit our website for programs and schedules: www.popejohnpauliichurch.org